09 February 2009

Taking a day off

One of the ways in which I take care of myself is by scheduling a day off from my life. This usually is a monthly event that I actually schedule into my Outlook calendar ... as an all day event in red for high importance that I like to call "Maryann's day off".

Yesterday I indulged in a lovely day off, after initially resisting the urge to have a productive Sunday. After giving myself permission to, I happily lazed on the couch for most of the day in my pajamas, watching TV and playing video games ... only getting up occasionally to get something to eat. I ended this luxurious day by heading off to bed at 8:30 last night. It is obvious by the empty clothes closet and the messy apartment that I gave up an entire day of my weekend to take care of myself. However today I feel refreshed, well rested, recouped, recharged and happy. I feel like I can carry on with work, caregiving and the chores of life and be present in these things, after taking a mini holiday from it all. I also can look forward to my next lazy day of self care which I've already booked in March ... in red, for high importance.

Taking a day off may consist of different things for all of us. My definition of a relaxing day off means being a couch potato, with the TV, movies, video games or a good book. Other people may get the same kind of relaxation from going out for a long walk, or even washing their kitchen floors. Your day off can consist of whatever feels right for you ... as long as you feel rested by the end.

Even if you cannot check out of life for an entire day, it is so important to give yourself permission to make time for this ... whether it be a full day or a couple of hours. For me to make my day happen, I had to say no to other things and other people to honor the commitment I made to myself. My sense is the necessity of saying no to give ourselves time is why so many caregivers don't take time for themselves. Being able to say yes to ourselves and no to others occasionally is one of the keys in warding off burnout, and if you're not good at doing this ... I challenge you to start practicing it. I also challenge you to take your day off. I love to hear your stories of how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment